- Umbria/Lazio, Orvieto area
- Magical townhouse wth caved pool and garden near Orvieto in fairytale town Bagnoregio, Viterbo, Italy
- Area Map - Route
Click here to view in Google Maps
For more pictures, click here.
To arrive at the foot of Civita di Bagnoregio is to discover a place that until then only existed in dreams: the ultimate Italian hill town preserved by a rich and splendid history and by the love of its current inhabitants. Entering the old town by walking over its footbridge and going through its Etruscan gateway is like stepping back in time 600 years to rediscover the beauty and peace of a different way of life. The town appears almost made of gold and silver - the gold of the tufa rock of its cliffs and houses, the silver of its basalt paved streets. Like a jewel that was eroded by time only to preserve its most beautiful core, Civita will transport you to a place of wonder and poetry, close to the incredible history of man’s tenacity and vision, to nature’s endurance and labor of love.
Casa Reggio is a portion of a 14th century 'Palazzo' that sits on an underground system of caves, Etruscan tombs and a Roman water cistern. This Palazzo, which gives place to 6-8 guests, is part of a fairytale medieval town on the border with Umbria, not far away from the famous Umbrian town of Orvieto. The house was restored with amazing care and became something really magicak The caved pool is absolutely unique as well as all the caves underneath the house and the formal garden overlooking the whole valley.
This is a very popular house, so early bookings, one year ahead are definately required!
- Why this is Special
- Ever seen a pool in a cave in the middle of a medieval town? This is an absolutely unique place to stay!
- HOW TO BOOK
- If you would like to book or inquire about this property, please push the 'how to book' button on the left. You will be directed to our rentals contact form.
- Per week: High Season EUR 5.400; Mid Season EUR 4.500; Low Season EUR 3.550
High Season: 27 May 2016 - 9 September 2017
Mid Season: 9 September 2017 - 14 October 2017 & 22 december 2017 - 1 January 2018 & 7 April 2017 - 27 May 2017
Low Season: 1 january 2017 - 7 April 2017 and 14 October 2017 - 22 December 2017
The price of rental includes gas, water, electricity, bed linens, all towels including pool towels, soaps and detergents. It also includes final cleaning, 2 midweek cleanings, use of all appliances and equipment. Additional or daily maid service is available upon request. The price does not include heating or telephone calls.
Security deposit: EUR 1.000 to be paid to SU before arrival as specified in the booking confirmation.
Deposit: 30% upon booking, balance 30 working days before arrival;
- Saturdays arrival as of 4 PM, departure latest 10 AM. Other arrival and departures days on request.
- Save or share
- 3 bedrooms, all with en-suite bathrooms
- 3 bathrooms
- Modern minimal kitchen
- The living room & main kitchen are located on the 1st floor of the house. They constitute the original core of the living quarters with a remarkable basalt stone fireplace. The terracotta floors and wooden beams, all dating from the fourteenth century are carefully restored. The introduction of the modern minimal kitchen and furnishings creates a unique synergy that makes the space at once comfortable, poetic, yet respectful of its 'original soul'.
- Other rooms
- The wine cellar and caves,an old Roman water cistern, still plastered in its original hydraulic plaster, has been transformed into a truly unique wine cellar of highly selected local wines for the guests' delight. It is accessed through a medieval set of caves and tunnels dug fully into the rock which also connect the house to the garden. It is a magical experience to walk through and being able to enjoy these unusual underground spaces.
- Cleaning will be done twice a week, more cleaning upon request against extra charge.
- Amenities: Hob/Stove, Oven, Fridge with freezer, Dishwasher, Washing machine, Tumble dryer, Iron+board, Satellite tv, Television, Internet access, Central heating, Barbeque, Private pool, all in good condition.
- The house is not suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
- From the formal Italian garden you can access 2 stone caves that have been converted into an amazing and unique pool with hot tub as well as a garden kitchen. Below these an underground art gallery has been created in a medieval wine storage 'grotto'. These spaces have all been carved into the tufa rock of the cliff centuries ago and the owners reinvented their use to provide unique amenities that enhance the magical quality of the house. Through the caves you access the beautiful formal Italian garden which hangs between 2 stone cliffs with amazing views of the surrounding valley.
- This is a very popular house, so early bookings, one year ahead are definately required!
Civita di Bagnoregio is a unique destination: a pristine Medieval village on a promontory set in a vaste valley carved into volcanic rock by two rivers. Its only connection to the modern world is a footbridge by which you will travel the last half mile of your voyage into another world, virtually untouched by modern life. This town founded by the Etruscans, conquered by the Romans, shaped by the architecture of the Middle Ages and Renaissance is located in central Italy in the Lazio region at the border with Umbria. It survives and thrives in the heart of the Alta Tuscia, the beautiful and historically rich land of the Etruscans, and offers a gateway not only to the past but to many beautiful villages and towns in southern Tuscany, western Umbria, and northern Lazio. If you are travelling by car, Civita di Bagnoregio is 15 minutes south of the Orvieto exit on the A1 highway connecting Rome to Florence, 15 minutes east of the ancient Via Cassia connecting Rome to Siena. The closest train station is Orvieto which is only 15 minutes away and about an hour’s ride from Rome. The closest airport is in Perugia but Rome’s Fiumicino airport is the most convenient for international travel (1.5 hours away).
- While this house is a wonderfully isolated, almost otherwordly spot, an oasis of tranquility and romance, there are several restaurants and 2 café / bars in town. You can find all the other amenities required for a pleasant stay in its sister city of Bagnoregio--the town on the other side of the footbridge and less than a mile away. This includes banks, a gas station, a weekly market, a supermarket, bakeries, and all the other wonderful shops a typical small Italian town has to offer.
Umbria offers a wide range of activities. Click on the following categories for some suggestions including direct links to relevant websites with all necessary details:
- All kind of activities can be arranged at request (separate prices).
- If you are travelling by car, Civita di Bagnoregio is 15 minutes south of the Orvieto exit on the A1 highway connecting Rome to Florence, 15 minutes east of the ancient Via Cassia connecting Rome to Siena. The closest train station is Orvieto which is only 15 minutes away and about an hour's ride from Rome. The closest airport is in Perugia but Fiumicino airport in Rome is the most convenient for international travel (1.5 hours away).
- Rome airport: 100km, 90 minutes Rome center: 95 km, 90 minutes Orvieto: 20km, 15 minutes Todi: 45 km, 35 minutes Spoleto: 70 km, 50 minutes Viterbo: 35 km, 25 minutes Bolsena: 20 km, 15 minutes Tuscania: 50km, 45 minutes Tarquinia: 70 km, 50 minutes Perugia: 80 km, 80 minutes Pitigliano: 50km, 45 minutes