- Umbria/Lazio, Orvieto area
- Magical townpalace near Orvieto in the fairytale town of Civita di Bagnoregio, Viterbo, Italy
- Area Map - Route
Click here to view in Google Maps
For more pictures, click here.
Here you go back in history with all comfort of today. Il Vescovo is an amazing holiday villa in town for 8 guests. Surrounded by wonderful gardens and terraces. Il Vescovo is located in a dominant position with unique views. It retains the charm of centuries of history: the ideal destination in which to bask in a peaceful environment and benefit from an unhurried lifestyle, a tranquil and authentic haven surrounded by an uncontaminated nature. Used by Bishop Ferdinando di Castello as an episcopal palace between the fifth and the sixth century, the Court has been faithfully restored in keeping with the Borgo’s historic and rural past, evoking the enchanting atmosphere of times gone by and maintaining fragments of its antique frescoes.
The building shares a large garden and orchard. Il Vescovo’s rooms are tastefully furnished with antiques and some modern elements, their authenticity in strict harmony with the environment. With regard to the restoration, every possible effort has been made to safeguard the spirit of the era that the building still maintains, and that it wishes to conserve through the years ahead. The windows offer magnificent panoramic views of the garden and the breathtaking landscapes beyond. Each apartment consists of study/living room, double bedroom, with bath and/or shower.
Civita di Bagnoregio is a fairtytale small town where it is ideal to have lunch of dinner, walk around and have an aperitiv on one of the small terraces. The owners live next to the villa and will be available all day to make sure that your stay will be the best one ever. The lake of Bolsena is only 15 minutes car drive away, where it is nice to have a good swim, or make a trip with the private boat of the villa.
- Why this is Special
- Here you will step into another world, like if you are part of a movie set. You will feel at home for sure and it is an ideal place to do all kind of activities in the area.
- HOW TO BOOK
- If you would like to book or inquire about this property, please push the 'how to book' button on the left. You will be directed to our rentals contact form.
- Per week: High Season EUR 7.000; Low Season EUR 6.200.
High Season: 26 March - 24 september & 17 December 2016 - 7 January 2017
Low Season: 2 January - 26 March & 24 September - 17 December 2016
The price includes:
Welcome Champagne; Free Wifi; Using home-cinema hall and library; Hair dryer, bath robes and slippers; Exchange towels every day and sheets every three days; Room service every day and Continental breakfast with home made cakes; Heating and wood consumption; Exclusive use of the lodge and the garden.
Use of relaxation area and Spa: EUR 50 each hour for 2 guests.
Security deposit: EUR 500.
Deposit: 30% upon booking, balance 30 working days before arrival.
- Saturdays arrival as of 4 PM, departure latest 10 AM. Other arrival and departure days and times upon request.
- Save or share
- The Abbeys Four-poster bed once belonged to the Abbess of a monastery (hence the room’s name) and is meant as a tribute to Stendhal’s ‘The Abbess Of Castro’. An early nineteenth century French oaken fireplace and an iron bathtub stand in front of the bed. The room, measuring roughly 40 sqm, opens onto a balcony from where, across the bishop’s garden, the guests may enjoy the radiance of magical sunsets.
The Sleepwalker The bed’s headboard came from an early nineteenth century theatrical production, and is a tribute to Vincenzo Belli and to the great tradition of Italian opera. It is characterized by a series of ample windows that look out over both the Corte’s internal garden and the Bishop’s far larger garden. The room measures about 40 sqm.
The Intruder Looking out across the valley, one can glimpse the house where the Argentine poet and writer Rodolfo Wilcock lived and died. He was a great friend of Jorge Luis Borges, to whose work the room is dedicated. It is a very quiet and welcoming room of about 35 sqm, its atmosphere decidedly French. Above the fireplace to the left of the bed hangs a painting by Pierre Sallé, the nineteenth century French painter.
The Writer The wallpaper in the apartment’s study is a reproduction of that covering the walls of Virginia Woolf’s London home. It has its own private entrance from the garden, up stone stairs with Roman columns to a terrace covered by a pergola of roses. There is a precious fragment of a sixteenth century fresco in the bedroom. The room measures about 40 sqm.
- Every bedroom has its own very comfortable bathroom.
- The Kitchen The room’s name is inspired by a famous quote from Ippolito Nievo’s ‘Confessions Of An Italian’, in which the kitchen is portayed as a place of magic, with lots of bright, airy space and high ceilings, where the pleasure of living together is savoured by the guests in an atmosphere of great familiarity. It measures roughly 45 sqm. The atmosphere is very particular, almost a museum, but all modern luxury and appliances are available.
- The living room this is an old 50 sqm cellar with a high tufa stone ceiling. It has been transformed into a large open space, complete with a stone fireplace. It is the ideal setting to listen to music, to play the old Forneris piano, to read, or to watch art films on a large projection screen.
- Other rooms
- Thermae/SpaRelax Wellness and magical atmosphere: The Thermae/Spa of the villa is available to special treatments for two. A cosy environment where you can enjoy the benefits of bio-sauna, double whirlpool spa and massage.
The bishop winery The winery was founded by Bishop Ferdinando of Castillo in the early sixteenth century. it was carved entirely by hand and has been restored returning to its former glory. It has been furnished with attention to detail to offer our guests the opportunity to spend a pleasant evening sampling local ham, cheeses and wines of the highest-rated producers in the region.
- Cleaning will be done every morning.
- Amenities: Hob/Stove, Oven, Fridge with freezer, Dishwasher, Washing machine, Tumble dryer, Iron+board, Satellite tv, Television, Internet access, Central heating, Room fans, Barbeque, all in good condition.
- The house is not specifically suitable for guests with reduced mobility.
- The garden is annexed to the apse of the Church of San Donato and characterized by Mediterranean plants and centuries old olive trees. It is the ideal place to enjoy a relaxing breakfast in the shade of a pergola, with the colours and perfumes of seasonal flowers adding to the atmosphere. A vegetable patch makes up part of the garden from which the Corte’s guests are free to pick their favourite vegetables.
- Civita can only be reached by a walking bridge. The car need to be parked on the other side of the bridge. Luggage transfer will be organized by the owners. The owners love to cook and can offer you daily lunch/dinner services, all to be discussed beforehand. They can also organize all kind of activities, tours, horse riding, massages etc. Please inform.
Civita di Bagnoregio is close to all the major Tuscan and Umbrian cities of art. It is the ideal spot to enjoy a relaxing visit in harmony with a landscape that varies from ravines to rolling hills wooded with chestnut trees, and dotted with vineyards and olive groves. The immediate vicinity offers opportunities to visit captivating towns such as Orvieto, Bamarzo, Viterbo, Caprarola, Bagnaia and the plateaus of Alfina. For lake lovers, Lago Bolsena is one of Italy’s most beautiful in which to swim and enjoy a pleasant day’s boating. The spas are also a wonderful form of relaxation, the easiest to reach from Civita di Bagnoregio being the Terme dei Papi in Viterbo, or Saturnia, Bagno Vignoni and San Casciano. And let’s not forget that the beautiful Tyrrhenian Sea is less than two hours drive away. For those who like to go horseback riding or cycling there are numerous suitable routes that Il Vescovo may organize for its guests. Civita di Bagnoregio is the perfect starting point for those who wish to visit the art cities of Arezzo, Florence and Rome.
- There are several (around 8) restaurants and 2 café/bars in town as well as some small shops like a cheesemonger. You can find all the other amenities required for a pleasant stay in its sister city of Bagnoregio, the town on the other side of the footbridge, and less than a mile away. This includes banks, a gas station, a weekly market, a supermarket, bakeries, and all the other wonderful shops a typical small Italian town has to offer.
Umbria offers a wide range of activities. Click on the following categories for some suggestions including direct links to relevant websites with all necessary details:
- All kind of activities can be arranged at request (separate prices).
- If you are travelling by car, Civita di Bagnoregio is 15 minutes south of the Orvieto exit on the A1 highway connecting Rome to Florence, 15 minutes east of the ancient Via Cassia connecting Rome to Siena. The closest train station is Orvieto which is only 15 minutes away and about an hour's ride from Rome. The closest airport is in Perugia but Fiumicino airport in Rome is the most convenient for international travel (1.5 hours away).
- Rome airport: 100km, 90 minutes Rome center: 95 km, 90 minutes Orvieto: 20km, 15 minutes Todi: 45 km, 35 minutes Spoleto: 70 km, 50 minutes Viterbo: 35 km, 25 minutes Bolsena: 20 km, 15 minutes Tuscania: 50km, 45 minutes Tarquinia: 70 km, 50 minutes Perugia: 80 km, 80 minutes Pitigliano: 50km, 45 minutes